Image

Image

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

Hi Mom!

Sound like you had a great time in Mexico! Sorry you had to take a cold shower! That´s a bummer! Haha and imagine the heat in the summer if it´s so hot now! Actually here a cold front came in so it started getting cold on New Years Eve in the night. That's cool you got to go to a place where Kris served. And that´s a cool story about that sister who is getting baptized! Lets hope the missionaries and ward members stay in contact with here while she is taking that class. That´s easy to fall away when you aren´t going to church. It requires lots of follow-up. Haha sorry you have to be on a bus all day. Do you know what kind it is? Is it like the tour groups bus or do you go in like normal charter buses? Too bad "Those Nephites" didn´t build their cities closer together haha :p With all the delays and stuff did the rest miss any part of the tour? Haha and speaking of souvenirs you better tell me what stuff you bought so I don´t end up buying any of the same for you! haha. Probably not because the culture and stuff is a bit different up north than it is in the south. I loved seeing and talking to you as well. And don`t worry about the babies, if they would have said anymore I probably would have just fallen in shock haha.

That's cool you kind of got to be among the people for a bit. They really are great :) The kids are the best though, you are right. So innocent and loving. And yes, the members are the most blessed. Not all of them though. Some of the most faithful and obedient and hard working members I know live in shacks. But even living in a shack they are happy and they don`t worry about the same problems other people have to worry about. 

With New Years, my "Year of the Mission" is over :( 2015 was an incredible year, but I feel like this year will be even more crazy. I have a lot ahead of me. 

This week has been pretty interesting! I did lots of things I have never done before! On Monday or Tuesday, I don't really remember, I injected a missionary with the Influenza Vaccine! Elder Ordoñez studied medicine and his dad is a surgeon so he is teaching all of us how to inject. It´s really not that hard but I was nervous. But apparently I did an OK job haha. Later Elder Ordoñez got sick so he had to have injections so he let us all inject him haha. But that wasn´t in the arm.

On Thursday I got to go to Pueblo Viejo! A missionary serving there went home so we had to go pick up some stuff of his. I obviously volunteered to go haha. It was strange going back... Unfortunately I couldn´t go anywhere other than the house or visit anyone, but from the house to get to a taxi to go back and cross the river we had to walk right  by the Ponce families house. Celia was outside and I saw her from like a block away and I could tell she saw me and thought it was me but couldn't really tell. When I got closer she was super surprised haha. It was really great seeing them. Celia and her husband were outside and I was so happy to see that he recognized me and had a big grin on his face. He´s a big dude that a lot of missionaries are afraid of but really hes just a teddy bear, but most missionaries don't include him in the lessons or anything because he looks intimidating. Be he's great. Then Cristian and Naydelin came out and that was awesome and Mari and Leo and Emilia and I got to meet Emilias new baby Jimena! She was born in October and is precious! The bad thing is I didn't get a pic! We were just there a few minutes but it was really cool to get to see them. as I was leaving Celia said "Dont forget that you´ll always be a Ponce! Elder Skalla Ponce!" Haha. They're like my Mexican family. 

On new years President gave us permission to sleep in the office and watch church movies. We watched Ephraim's Rescue and 17 miracles. I hadn't seen Ephraim's Rescue but it was really good. We stayed up til 12 and at 12 we watched the illegal fireworks going off all around haha. It was pretty fun. We even splurged and bought cream soda. On New Years Day we went to breakfast at this breakfast buffet place. It was like the nicest restaurant I have ever eaten at in Mexico haha. Super awesome all you can eat with pancakes and omelette's and yogurt and fried bananas and a bunch of other Mexican breakfast dishes. And not that expensive either! Reminded me of the New Years Day Mimi's breakfasts :)

This week was my last week in the office! Most of what I was doing was preparing for the new guy to come. I will stay here a few days before going to my area to train the new guy. There is a book/folder thing that kind of explains the job but it's old and outdated so I have been redoing it. I am almost done but it's been a lot of work! I'm not sure who I am going with yet, but I have an idea. I'll find out later tonight. Odds are I wont have P Day on Monday so the next time I write will be NEXT Monday. Yay for Monday p days again! I bet you are excited! Or upset because you're just barely getting used to Saturday P days haha. I bet Brad will be happy. Lets see if his promise is true and he really does write me more with my p day on Monday. I bet he will be pretty busy in the Philippines. When does he leave?

I am excited to go back to the field. I am scared a bit because I have seen that lots of past secretaries have left the office and really struggle getting back into the normal missionary lifestyle. I already talked to president about it though and he gave me some ideas so I think I will be fine. I am hopeful for a bright future in front of me and I am excited to go out, work hard, be happy and finish strong. 

I love you all so much and I am so thankful to be a part of my great family and 
to have all the support I do. Thanks for everything! 

Love,

Elder Skalla
México Tampico Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment