Wow, Monday already? This week flew by! It was a good week. My Spanish is getting better every day, and I've learned how to share the gospel with my actions more than my words when I need to. This keyboard I'm typing on is absolutely awful so I apologize for the gazillion errors. (mom added a lot of i's to this letter before posting!) Our investigator, Brandon, who was supposed to get baptized this Saturday, is having some fear so we moved his date to the end of August to help him work through his difficulties. I know he will be baptized and I think it's better to wait so he can have a good experience. We found an awesome family, well they found us actually. We were walking to a cita (appointment) and this lady stopped us and asked us where the church was and said she would go on Sunday and that her daughter was a member and was interested. Well she didn't come to church that Sunday but we had her number so we called and she said she wants to meet with us. We met with her and her daughter and had a great lesson. We invited them to be baptized but Gloria isn't married, normal here, and Iris, her daughter, is moving in like 3 weeks. But we invited them to come to church and set up another time to meet. The next lesson they brought their friend Helena and her children, like 3 of them, and Helena is really interested. They all came to church yesterday which was awesome. Hopefully that all turns out well. We have an investigator named Itsel who is 15 and lives with her grandparents. She really wants to be baptized but she doesn't have a great relationship with her mom and we need her permission first. The letter I, you have to like punch to get to work so my I's aren't showing up sorry. But we are working on getting her moms permission and she will be baptized on the 6th of September. Another family is the Ponce Family, 2 kids Leo and Mari and the mom Celia. They all want to be baptized and we have been teaching them for a year, but the mom never got divorced from her old husband and now is living with her boyfriend who she cant marry until she divorces, and the kids cant get baptized until the parents are married. However, since they have such a desire to be baptized, we got special permission from President Jordan and the 2 kids will be baptized on the 30th of August. We are having lots of success here. I don't really feel like a trainee much anymore-- minus the language. We both push each other to do better and we have been doing great. A few things I wrote down to tell you...
They have the 2 liter bottles of Coke that you can buy and then take to any of the stores like a block away, there's a million of them, and exchange it for a new one for a lot cheaper. They say "Retornable'''on them. It's a great idea, but would only work in Mexico where theres a convenience store for every person in the town less than 5 steps from your door haha.
We live next to this family that has a few little kids that call me "Señor Grande" every time we see them, which is funny. I haven't met anyone taller than me and I am slouching down more than standing straight up when we are walking around because everything is so low haha.
There is a word here, guero, and idk if its in all of Latin America or just Mexico but it means white person. I hear it a lot, and the other day, no joke, a parrot said it to me. That was a shock haha.
Our same neighbors dog just had puppies so theres this little tiny black puppy outside our house all the time, its cute but kinda annoying haha. I took a pic.
I'm helping Elder Flores learn English and that's always a funny experience. The other day he sad "I like to eat children" instead of chicken. He is getting better though...
Apparently when I say where I'm from it's funny because if I say "Soy De Colorado" it sounds like soy Decolorado, which is like I am de-colored. Which is true here. So everyone laughs.
As of 1 transfer before I got here, the mission is on a break from sports and other recreational activities on P Day. Which is lame. All we do is write, shop, clean, and eat. And Study. Hopefully that ends soon.
I don't have a physical address but the mission office sends all the mail to us through our zone leaders. I'm just outside Tampico so mail will probably get here faster than other places. I'm guessing I'll be here in Villa Cuahtemoc/ Pueblo Vejo for 6 months. 3 at the least.
Right now is the hottest time of the year. It's called Canicula I think. Honestly the heat isn't what bothers me, it's the humidity. The clime (A/C) is my best friend when we come home every night haha.
Did you guys hear anything about the giant fire or explosion in Tampico? We saw the smoke and heard a bit about it but not much. Look into it and let me know. I think it was an oil refinery or something.
That's all for this week. I'm doing great! Its harder than I thought, but not harder than I can handle.
Love you all!
-Elder Skalla
No comments:
Post a Comment