Image

Image

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I love the MTC so much I decided to stay!



Hola!

So I have another week in the MTC... I guess 5 days now. That's better than being here another 6 weeks, which was a possibility if my mission president didn't want me til next transfer. So I'm glad he wants me haha. It was really hard to say goodbye to my old district. They are great missionaries and we got to be really close friends the last 6 weeks. Elder Hyde and Elder Merling are in my same mission so I will see them every once in a while, but Elder White, Allred, and Garnett, I won't. I'm sure we will keep in touch though and see each other after the mission. My new companion is Elder Dixon from Spanish Fork. He graduated high school like last month haha. He's a great kid and a great missionary and I love working with him. He got to the MTC 2 weeks after we did and is in our zone but was in a trio, so when my district left I just joined his. We teach really well together. He knows the scriptures really well and we have had lots of success teaching here at the MTC. We have 2 investigators "on date" for "baptism" haha so that's fun. 

I've been a slacker and I haven't written in my journal in forever so I can't remember a whole lot that has happened. I'm recovering really well from surgery and doing great. Super listo to go to Mexico though. Our Devotional Sunday night was way cool actually. It was Josh Wright, he is a professional piano player and a member of the church so he came and shared some stories from his mission and played some songs. He was really good. My favorite was a mix of Clair De Lune and How Great Thou Art that he wrote which was really cool. You should look him up. Tuesday was Niel L. Andersen. He spoke about the spirit and it was just an incredible talk. He talked a bit about Elder Langi, the kid who is getting flak for transferring from Utah to BYU after his mission after playing on the Utah football team. Cool story, you should look that up too. He said that before his mission he wasn't willing or able to follow the standards BYU has, but now since he changed so much on his mission he is ready to embrace the standards and wants to be in a place where the people he is around have the same standards as he does. Utah fans aren't happy.

I was called as a zone leader which is cool.I 'm excited, even though it's only a week. We are pretty involved in helping the new missionaries out and so I'm excited to do that. We have 10 new elders coming in this afternoon which is crazy. that will be fun. I feel bad I honestly can't think of anything to tell you. The MTC is the MTC... You will get a call on Monday and then probably an excitement packed email the next Monday. I'm doing great and I love hearing from you all. I got a Dear Elder from Maddy Korth which was awesome (Thanks Maddy!). I want to hear from all of you so feel free to write me! Just let me know whats going on in your life... I have gotten letters from a few of my DECA friends and those are always really fun to read. It gives me some energy to get through the rest of the day/week so keep em coming! Oh ya, on the 4th we had a devotional with some musical stuff and then a speaker about how the Lord prepared America to be the place of the restoration and then we watched 17 Miracles and it was really loud because they didn't want us to hear Carrie Underwood singing next door :(   But then afterward we got to watch the fireworks and that was cool. Weird 4th of July, but really fun.

I got a package from Jenn and Adalynn and some of the cousins which made my day. They all drew me pictures and wrote notes and it was awesome. Thanks for the Liahona magazine stuff and the Temple magazine and the CTR rings! I'm excited to give those to the little kids! Sounds like you all had an awesome 4th! I'm jealous you hiked pikes peak. I have been wanting to hike really bad lately. We are literally right at the bottom of the mountains and i want to be on them! I think they should let us hike the Y on P-Day... Did you tell Andie I saw her? Alright well I'm almost out of time and I have nothing left to say... Love you all! Keep writing and sending pictures! I love pictures too so email me pictures! 

Love you all!

-Elder Skalla

 Elder Dixon and Elder Skalla


from surgery week...Elder Garnett had his appendix out.  Then Elder Skalla had his hernia!

Surgery buddies

 In order:  Hermana Olson, Hermana Larsen, Elder Allred, Elder White, Elder Wilkey, Elder Dixon, Elder Hartvigsen, Elder Hyde, Elder Skalla, Hermana Jensen, Hermana. Wathen

Olson, Larsen, Jensen, Wathen, Wilkey, Dixon, and Hartvigsen  are in my new district 

 Elder Garnett

New District Elders



No comments:

Post a Comment