This week was super great! It started out super lame because Monday we didn't do anything productive and Tuesday we had a meeting in Tampico a sort of Zone Conference but with 3 zones and we talked about the things that were achieved in 2014 and the plans for 2015 which was cool but we didn't have much time to work that day. They showed a slide show with the names of all the people baptized in 2014 and it was way cool to recognize a few names :) I'm hoping to recognize a bunch more this coming year, both in this area and in my future area. But after Tuesday we were bummed because the week was looking pretty gloomy and it is "Cold" right now and nobody is in the streets and nobody wants to talk to us but we just worked harder and harder and we really got to see the fruits! The members are FINALLY trusting us and starting to come back to church. We had 9 less actives at church and all of the recent converts! They are starting to introduce us to their friends and family and its just awesome! We have 17 people with a baptism date right now! The hardest part is getting people to the church. The chapel is in the highest point in the town and a bit far and nobody wants to come to church but we are working on that. Once we can get a family to church once or twice, they usually get baptized eventually. But its scary bringing investigators to church because.... Well we have some members that are a little weird and say weird things and a family in particular that is a little rude sometimes. They are trying to be funny but its awful. For example one of the investigators from the other area (one of my old investigator) came to church and this sister asked her Oh hey are you a member? and the investigator said No but I think that I soon will be and the sister responded Oh so you re still a sinner! and so the next week she didn't come to church. It is awful. We are finding lots of less actives that stopped coming to church because of things that were said to them in church. Its super tough because they don't feel comfortable in the church anymore and who wants to come to church when you feel judged and cant feel the spirit! I wouldn't want to! So we are in the process of getting that fixed. But seriously like 5 people just this week have told us they stopped coming to church because of a certain group of people. Ugg. This Sunday one of the speakers didn't show up so the second counselor stood up and just looked and me and I just smiled and nodded and he said that Elder Skalla would be the speaker today so I spoke about love and having charity and how we have to show love to everyone in the words we say and in our actions and that "By this shall men know that ye are my disciples". It went pretty well and I hope we can be a little more loving in this ward. One funny thing that happened this week... We were walking in the street and Elder Lopez was asking me where my parents are from and I said my dad is from Wyoming and my mom is from Utah and he said I think one of the elders in the MTC with me was from Wyoming... But isn't everyone from there really big and dark? your dad isn't that big... and I was just like ummmmm no I don't know what you're talking about... and then he just said OHHH I think I got Wyoming mixed up with Tonga hahahah I was cracking up the rest of the day. Hahaha.
Ya Ana sent me the picture. Pretty funny. I'm glad they still remember me haha. That's funny you ran into Will. He took Spanish in college and we have been writing back and forth. He is pretty good!
I haven't tried the Southwest card in a while. I took out some money from my checking account just to have just in case. I gave some of it to Ismael because he and his friends bought a bunch of toys and handed them out on Christmas to poor kids. I think I gave him 20 bucks. I am still waiting for a good opportunity to really help someone out.
Crazy how fast the time is flying! We are doing great here and I am having a blast and learning tons! Love you tons! You are always in my prayers!
Elder Skalla
PS Sorry I haven't sent any pictures lately. Our first counselor (the rock of the ward here) Left on vacation and he is the only one that knows how to turn the wifi on so it hasn't been turned on. I know how but it is locked in the bishopric office and I don't have keys there haha. But he is back now. Maybe Wednesday I will send some. I just forget sometimes that I have family that also wants my to see my pictures haha. Sorry! Love you but right now I cant think about you too much!
No comments:
Post a Comment