This week was a really good week! Crazy because our area is gigantic and really different because Elder Flores is district leader but still really good. I do most of the planning every night now because he is on the phone with our district and the Zone Leaders so I just plan alone which is good because I am learning how to plan more and more effectively. On Monday night we had an appointment with two home teachers to visit one of our recent converts that they are assigned to, but they both forgot so Elder Flores and I visited him. When we got to his house he was laying on his bed just groaning and he told us that because of the changes in the weather he had a ton of pain where he had surgery a few years ago. It didn't make sense to me but we helped him sit up and gave him a blessing. He asked me to give it which freaked me out because I had only ever given one before and never in Spanish! I was freaking out! Its hard to listen to the spirit when you're that panicked haha but it went well and he went to the doctor a bit later and the next day went back to work. It was a weird but cool experience haha. He told us that that was the reason he didn't go to church on Sunday so apparently he had been in pain since Sunday! He told us he had prayed for us to come but that was the day before haha so we apologized for being late.
On Tuesday we had another lesson with Karen and Emilia. Emilia is the one that we read 1 Nephi 3:7 with and promised that if she went to church that she would still be able to get all of her chores or jobs done. She was at church which was way cool and on Tuesday she told us that somehow everything lined up perfectly that she could get her stuff done! She is really awesome and I think she will be baptised this coming month! We also had a lesson with an old investigator who lives in the other side of our area so we took the taxi over there and taught her. I don't know why the other missionaries didn't have her progressing but she is awesome! Her name is Norma and her son was baptized a year ago. She has been hopping in between different churches but is ready to find one she can stay in and she is extremely accepting of our message. She told us a story about how one time she was at her old church and she started speaking in tongues while her husband was was shaking and we explained to her how the spirit works and she was really accepting and understood that it probably wasn't the spirit that did that haha. She came to church yesterday and liked it a lot.
Yesterday we had 8 investigators in sacrament meeting!!! Brandon, who is in the picture with the pink tie, is going to be baptized along with Mari and Leo, the kids who have been taught for over a year whose parents aren't married, on the 6th of September which is exciting. We had 8 even though Mari and Leo, who we can always count on to come, couldn't go. It was awesome because there were almost as many investigators, recent converts, and less actives in sacrament meeting than there were active members. there were 18 less actives!
The work is really progressing here. We had our second ward counsel and it went better than the first but still not great, but little by little its improving. Saturday we had a lesson with Gloria and Iris, 2 of our progressing investigators. Gloria isn't married and her husband is military so she cant be baptized for a while but Iris started reading the Book of Mormon and is already in 2nd Nephi and told us that she knows this is the true church! Hopefully Iris and their friend Elena will be baptized next month too. We are expecting to have 6 next month if all goes well!
On Friday we were in a part of our area that doesn't have any members and just a few not very great investigators. It is part of our old area, not the other side that's new, but still there aren't many people there. We are working over there every once in a while to grow the membership there but its hard because practically nobody wants to talk to us. We found 1 or 2 prospects walking around and contacting but while we were looking for one of our member references we greeted at a few doors (we don't knock we just yell BUENAS TARDES! haha that's what everyone does) and pretty much at every house someone would yell NO HAY NADIE! which is like saying nobodies home haha. One old guy just walked out without a shirt on, saw us, paused, and yelled NO HAY NADIE! which made us laugh and we have been joking this whole week saying No Hay Nadie!
I am loving it here and everything is going great. I have been looking for clippers but haven't found any that are less than 60 bucks and trustworthy. We cant leave our area other than Wednesdays for district meeting and there aren't any stores on our route to DM that have them and are trustworthy. I can't tell you when I'll be able to go to Wal-Mart either... I really want to but its far away. MAYBE after the next training of new missionaries or MAYBE after transfer meeting when I get my new companion but that's a strong maybe. It might just be easier to send ours that we have and you can buy a new one there maybe? My hair is growing way fast for some reason so I really want my own clippers... Ill keep you updated by way of camera if I find something haha.
I don't have anything more to say I don't think... Ask me questions and tell me things, I want to know whats going on there! It doesn't make me homesick at all to hear things that are happening there to be honest it actually helps.
Love you!
Elder Skalla
No comments:
Post a Comment