Image

Image

Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday already????

Man its Monday again... I feel like I just barely wrote you haha... I feel like Ive been sending really boring letters lately but... honestly I can never remember things that happen haha. Everything funny or cool has just become so natural so its hard to remember. I am gonna start writing in my journal again, maybe that will help... its just hard because we get home and are exhausted after a day in the sun working and we have to plan and then we have to take calls from all the missionaries and then after that all I want to do is SLEEP! or eat but usually sleep! Alright I will try to think of things to write...

ON Tuesday we had district meeting because president came Wednesday to do interviews. At the beginning our district had to eat habaneros because we brought less investigators to sacrament meeting :( haha it was fun... the elder that I gave my camera to to take a video didn't do a great job so I will try and get one from someone else. At first it wasn't too bad... we had to chew it for 30 seconds and then we could swallow it or spit it and take water... it wasn't that hot at first, just normal like we eat every day, and then after I swallowed it after a few seconds it got a LOT hotter haha my ears were burning and aching. but the worst were two south Americans from Peru and Bolivia where they don't eat chili at all! They about died haha. fun stuff. 

After district meeting we had splits with the assistants. I went with Elder Amador (Remember when I said that elder Flores was still the assistant? That wasn't true. He had told me that it was pretty much sure that he was gonna stay and he WAS gonna stay but he asked president to let him leave the offices and work haha. 6 months is a long time there so I don't blame him, especially because he goes home in October :( 3 of my companions (Arvizu, Flores, and Camarena) go home next change. I officially feel old.) Elder Amador was my zone leader when I was in Flores B with Elder Durrant, and he was in Flores B and A so he knew the area already haha. But that day something super cool happened. we went to the house of one of the only active families in Flores B, and this family is super great and always try and give us references but their entire neighborhood has been taught already haha so they have kinda been a bit discouraged, but we had shared with them the missions goal of baptizing 421 people in September and challenged them to find one of the 421. So when we get there the daughter says Elders! Guess What! I found her! I found one of the 421! And she told us that one day she was on the porch reading a Book of Mormon and a lady came to buy something (they sell soda and chips and snacks and stuff) and she felt impressed to talk to her and ended up giving her a book of Mormon. When the lady (her name is Monica) looked at the book she said that when she was little, like 8 years old, her mom read that book a lot and loved what it said and was baptized in the church, but her mom died when she was young and she had never gotten baptized. SO she got super interested in the book of Mormon and said she wanted the missionaries to go by :) Super cool experience. The only problem is she works on Sundays but its the only day of the week that she works so that can change hopefully. We are excited for her!

On Wednesday we had interviews so we were stuck in the stake center all day and at the end my comp and I only got like 15 minutes with president because we were the last ones and  it was late already haha. But it was still nice to get to know him a bit better. He seems like a really great guy. Very obedient and diligent, but not super strict either.  Very loving.

ON Saturday/Sunday, the whole mission fasted which is something that we had never done before and that was super cool. This Sunday was supposed to be ward conference to call the new bishop but... Nope! The area still hasn't accepted any of the candidates. the area has to accept them and then they send it to the first presidency but we haven't even made it past the area yet! Which is surprising because there are like 6 high counselors in our ward. The standards are a lot higher now and it worries me that they still don't have anyone... 

So we have been having lots of plumbing problems too haha! I already told you about the loose spout in the shower but now we have the pipes all clogged up! This morning Esteban came over to help us get it all unclogged. the sewage and drainage system here is all wack haha. We realized we have LOTS of backup and we spent the whole morning unclogging pipes and we still didn't finish. Gross! We are gonna treat Esteban to a pizza today to make up for his hard work haha so I will probably take money off my card. 

Alright well nothing else comes to mind haha I hope this letter is better than the last ones I have written. I will try to be better about writing. I´ve been pretty stressed and maybe a bit discouraged lately but now I'm over it I think or at least on the tail end haha but that has probably affected my letter writing for the past while... Love you lots and I appreciate the prayers and support!

Mom can you do me a favor and look for the talk "character of Christ" by Bednar? He gave it in the MTC a few years back I think on Christmas. But I saw it in the MTC and I loved it and want to read it again. its about turning outward and helping other people when you have problems and not focusing on yourself. And if know of any good talks about Charity that would be great too :)

Thanks! Love you!

Elder Skalla

Elder Skalla and Esteban

Ryan loves him and he is so good to the missionaries! 

No comments:

Post a Comment