Okay so I feel like I set the bar WAY too high with my letter last week! So much happens in the first week and then after that it's literally the same thing over and over and over and over again. But I love it. There just isn't much to tell. On Sunday Brother Monson got released as our First Counselor in our Branch Presidency which was way sad. I loved him. But that night he came and talked to all the Elders in our zone and he stayed till like 10:45 (We are supposed to be in bed at 10:30) just telling us stories and answering questions. His stories about "Uncle Tom" are the best. When President Monson was like 12 I guess he slept in the same room with his brother (Brother Monson's Dad) who was 7 and they had a big moose head on the wall and "Tom" would always tell his younger brother than the rest of the body of the moose was going to come through the wall and eat them in the middle of the night. Haha that made us crack up because you just don't hear stories like that about the prophet. It reminded me of that dumb moose in that cabin last Thanksgiving. Anyway he said he would come by and talk with us every once in a while still so that's good.
When my district got here there were 4 Elders and 7 Sisters in our Zone but they left on Monday morning to got to Mexico so our zone is only us 6 in the district. But this afternoon we are getting 4 Elders and 4 Sisters so that will be fun. Our district committed to only speak in Spanish to our Zone since the district before us didn't and we think it'll help them learn faster. So that will be fun.
You know those missionaries who were supposed to go to Ukraine and had been learning Russian but had to get moved to Peru and had to start over learning Spanish? They are on the West campus with us and we see them all the time. We speak Spanglish and the speak Sprussian. This morning before we started the service project, (we do service every P-Day which is basically we do what the cleaning staff doesn't want to do) one of the cleaning staff asked one of those elders to pray and he said "What language do you want it in?" because we always switch between Spanish/English and the worker guy said "Russian" just sarcastically not knowing he knew how to pray in Russian so the kid starts to pray in Russian haha. It was the only prayer I've heard that was 1/3 in Russian, 1/3 in Spanish, and 1/3 in English. It was pretty funny.
I forgot my Journal so I can't go back and refresh my memory of what happened... Sorry. Ummm last week we sang in the choir which was fun but we probably won't be able to do that again because we have class during choir practice and choir is on the main campus so we would have to take the bus and we would just miss like an hour and a half of class so we aren't doing that anymore unfortunately.
This week Elder Quentin L. Cook spoke to us. It was really good. He talked about how missionary work can be really hard sometimes and you may feel inadequate and frustrated and want to quit but that we can power through it with the help from God. I think it was exactly what Elder Hyde and I needed to hear. I shared a scripture with my district last night kinda on that topic and I think its D&C 6 towards the end and it says "Look unto me in every thought; Doubt Not, Fear Not." I really like that scripture.
Speaking of quotes and scriptures will you send me another journal that I can write those down in because I've been writing them in my Journal Journal but I want a separate one. So that's something you can send. PLEASE NO FOOD! They feed us so much here I feel like a balloon! Sister Best is right. Speaking of her we see each other every once in a while, but our Lunch/Gym times are flipped so it's usually just in passing. Yesterday she gave me Logan's address so I'm going to try and write him today. But seriously we are so busy it's not even funny. I try to find time to write back but it's hard. So thank you to everyone who has written me, I love getting mail and I appreciate it so much. I can't always write back to you directly, but I always think of you during my big email to everyone so please don't be offended. I did hear from Ana and Will and Josh so that was nice. I LOVE getting Dear Elders. I can't emphasize that enough. I don't even care if there's nothing interesting going on just send me them. Tell me a joke or a story or whatever I don't care haha I love it. Grandma and Grandpa Judy/Dean wrote me a Dear Elder about their trip to China and I loved it (I want to hear more about it too!) So keep sending me Dear Elders! I know you want to send me packages, and I love getting packages (Thanks Gal!), but PLEASE please no food. I got a package from you guys with a ton of candy and then one from Gal with rice krispy treats and a ton of candy and then the missionaries in our zone that left gave us all their food so we literally have so much food and candy and more than we could or should ever eat. So if you want to send me a package here are some ideas I guess...
-Music, I can have anything with the church logo or spiritual recreations of hymns so if you wanna just burn me a CD with two or three of your favorite hymns/songs I would LOVE that!
-Supplies: I always need journals and notebooks and supplies and pencils and scripture markers and things like that that won't make me fat.
-Ties: Ties are like my only variety and so I love ties!
-Pictures: I love pictures! Send pics of your family or whatever you want really, I love pictures
-Spanish CTR Rings: These are something fun I can give to the little kids in Mexico. I have a few but I could always use more!
-Drinks: The only thing foodwise that we need is drinks. Brad/Mom/Dad sent me some vitamin waters which was great (I like all of them but my favorite is the bright pink one with the blue label. I think it's called glow)
-Not Food: I'm serious please no more candy haha. I love it but I'm already eating enough sugar as is.
Well I can't really think of anything else to tell you... I finished my medicine and I feel better (I have felt better since like the 2nd day though), I'm wearing my clown shoes (Just kidding :p), I'm taking allergy pills every day (Theres these stupid cottonwood trees everywhere and I hate them), and I've been taking my pro-biotics.
We met our new teacher, who used to be our investigator. His name is Hermano Ralphs, he served his mission in Mesa, AZ and is from Meridian, ID. He used to teach at the Mexico MTC but now he is here at BYU. He is cool. Oh did I tell you if I get into BYU when I get home I want to be a teacher here. I think I would love it. Keep my comp in your prayers please, he is getting a lot better but still struggling a bit so keep praying :) the Lord will take care of him. I still have 16 minutes at the computer so I'll send this and reply with any questions you have and I'll try and answer them.
Te Quiero,
Élder Skalla
The Branch Presidency
Pres. Monson, Pres. Doman and Pres. Durfey
District Temple Day
Visit to the Nevada Consulate!! Getting his Visa!!
So right after emailing you we went to lunch and my name was on the screen of people who need to go see the information desk so I went and they sent me to the travel office and the travel office gave me my itinerary. I have to be ready to go and at the travel building by 4:30 AM tomorrow. So I will be in Vegas tomorrow...I'm kinda hoping to eat at Qdoba in the SLC airport haha I'm so excited! I'm not going with anyone in my district so that's weird, but I'm actually excited to go and break routine a bit. I also have some pics of my district at the temple coming your way soon...
Elder Skalla
No comments:
Post a Comment